I am a reporter with work experience in newspaper journalism, student journalism, and software development. I have lived in North Carolina, Colorado, and now Utah.
I have extensive experience in web development and software engineering, priming me for working in the digital media environment. I also have experience in data analysis and data mining, complemented by my undergraduate studies in mathematics and computer science, and have reported data journalism.
North Carolina State University
August 2014 – May 2018
- Earned a Bachelors of Science degree in Mathematics
- Received an S-STEM Scholarship for excellence in math
My LinkedIn profile provides a comprehensive list of my work experiences.
Reporter at The Times-Independent
January 2019 - now
- I report on city politics, tourism, crime and other topics.
- In addition to my reporting duties, I also created and manage the newspaper’s website.
Reporter at The Journal
September 2018 - November 2018
- Reported on education, news from the nearby town of Mancos, and other local topics
- Produced a series of thoroughly researched articles about a local public charter school
Editor and Producer of Praeci
September 2017 – May 2018
- Built Praeci.com website from the ground up with Jekyll and GitHub Pages
- Created 40-minute podcast episodes on NC State news and stories, including a focus on topics of diversity and inclusion through the podcast series Protected Class
- Included reporting and commentary on NC State Student Government news
- Won NC State Student Involvement’s 2018 Model the Way award for excellence of work
News Editor at Technician
April 2017 – September 2017
- Provided editorial and managerial leadership to the news team of the student newspaper
- Recruited and retained record number of new student correspondents
- Produced and edited [Technician’s first podcast][Dialogue with Technician] weekly
- Covered the largest NC State stories of the year, including on-campus sexual assault allegations, Student Government impeachment proceedings, and possible breach of open meetings law by Student Government
Reporter at Technician
January 2017 – April 2017
- Reported on NC State Student Government
- Produced in-depth series on topics including student activism
- Covered local events
Various programming jobs
July 2012 - August 2017
- In my first internship, I created a server that propagated timesheet data to three billing websites.
- I helped to create a website for intra-company, collaborative learning at I-Cubed.
- See my LinkedIn profile for more information.
Panelist for NC State’s 2018 Spring Diversity Dialogue
February 26, 2018
- Discussed issues of diversity and inclusion alongside 13 other student panelists in Witherspoon Student Center, facilitated by Bill Leftwich
- Invited by Assistant Vice Provost for Student Diversity Tracey Ray
Presentation on podcasting for print media
February 24, 2018
- Presented with Jamie Lynn Gilbert at the 2018 North Carolina College Media Association to an audience of North Carolina student journalists on how student newspapers can bring podcasting to their audiences
Volunteer for SATELLITE at NC State
May 2017 - May 2018
- SATELLITE introduces North Carolina high school students from underserved parts of the state to college opportunities, focused in STEM topics and hosted at NC State. SATELLITE is organized and run by students of NC State, through the Caldwell Fellows Program.
- Joined the program as a camp counselor in 2017, then worked to provide meals for SATELLITE campers and volunteers in its 21st year
last updated Nov. 17, 2019