I am a reporter with work experience in newspaper journalism and software development. I have lived in North Carolina, Colorado, and now Utah.
I have done extensive web development and software engineering, priming me for working in the digital media environment. I have practiced data analysis and data mining in both academic and journalistic pursuits, all complemented by my undergraduate studies in mathematics and computer science.
My LinkedIn profile provides a comprehensive list of my work experiences. Below is a selection of those jobs:
Reporter at The Times-Independent
January 2019 - now
- Reporting on county government, local impacts of the pandemic, tourism, education, and more.
- Reported on mail theft in Moab, the nonavailability of oil and gas beneath a local recreation area that was nominated for drilling, and the least affordable housing market in the State of Utah.
- Created and managed the newspaper’s previous website; advised on digital and IT operations.
Reporter at The Journal
September 2018 - November 2018
- Reported on city government, education, news from the nearby town of Mancos, and other local topics.
- Produced a series about a local public charter school facing financial and leadership distress.
Editor and Producer of Praeci
September 2017 – May 2018
- Created 40-minute podcast episodes on NC State news and stories, including a focus on topics of diversity and inclusion through the podcast series Protected Class.
- Included reporting and commentary on NC State Student Government news.
- Won NC State Student Involvement’s 2018 Model the Way award for excellence of work.
- Built Praeci.com website from the ground up with Jekyll and GitHub Pages.
News Editor at Technician
April 2017 – September 2017
- Provided editorial and managerial leadership to the news team of NC State’s student newspaper.
- Recruited and retained record number of new student correspondents.
- Produced and edited Technician’s first podcast weekly.
- Covered the largest NC State stories of the year, including on-campus sexual assault allegations, student government impeachment proceedings, and possible breach of open meetings law by student government.
Reporter at Technician
January 2017 – April 2017
- Reported on NC State student government.
- Produced series on topics including student activism.
- Covered local events.
Various programming jobs
July 2012 - August 2017
- In my first internship, I created a server that propagated timesheet data to three billing websites.
- I helped to create a website for intra-company, collaborative learning at I-Cubed.
- See my LinkedIn profile for more information.
North Carolina State University
August 2014 – May 2018
- Earned a Bachelors of Science degree in Mathematics.
- Received an S-STEM Scholarship for excellence in math.
Panelist for NC State’s 2018 Spring Diversity Dialogue
February 26, 2018
- Discussed issues of diversity and inclusion alongside 13 other student panelists in Witherspoon Student Center, facilitated by Bill Leftwich.
- Invited by Assistant Vice Provost for Student Diversity Tracey Ray.
Presentation on podcasting for print media
February 24, 2018
- Presented with Jamie Lynn Gilbert at the 2018 North Carolina College Media Association to an audience of North Carolina student journalists on how student newspapers can bring podcasting to their audiences.
Volunteer for SATELLITE at NC State
May 2017 - May 2018
- SATELLITE introduces North Carolina high school students from underserved parts of the state to college opportunities, focused in STEM topics and hosted at NC State. SATELLITE is organized and run by students of NC State, through the Caldwell Fellows Program.
- Joined the program as a camp counselor in 2017, then worked to provide meals for SATELLITE campers and volunteers in its 21st year.
last updated May 17, 2020